Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Let's sing ! Every Breath You Take

Well well, the summer is gradually fading off and half of my holidays are about to finish. What better way to celebrate the end of July than singing and practising your English ? 
Today's song is surely going to be familiar to you : Every Breath You Take by The Police. One of the world's most famous songs ! With this song I intend that you practise your English collocations, in this case, verbs that collocate with some nouns. For example, in English, you don't raise a flag or put a flag up, but rather you hoist a flag. Why ? Simply because the verb 'hoist' collocates with the noun 'flag'. Amazing, isn't it ? 
What you have to do is try to fill in the gaps of the song before listening to it and then, listen to it and see if your predictions were true. Finally, have a look at the solutions and learn some collocations. Ready, steady, go !

Before listening try to predict the missing verbs in the song Every Breath You Take by The Police  Then, listen and check

"Every Breath You Take"

Every breath you ________ (1)
Every move you ______ (2)
Every bond you ______ (3)
Every step you ______ (4)
I'll be watching you
Every single day
Every word you ______ (5)
Every game you ______ (6)
Every night you _______ (7)
I'll be watching you

O can't you see
You belong to me
How my poor heart _______ (8) with every step you _____(4)

Every move you _____ (2)
Every vow you ______ (9)
Every smile you fake
Every claim you _______ (10)
I'll be watching you

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace
I dream at night I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
I keep crying baby, baby please

Every move you _____ (2)
Every vow you _____ (9)
Every smile you fake
Every claim you _______ (10)
I'll be watching you

* Bond [bɒnd]: A feeling shared by the same people that make them feel together.


Now, cover the lyrics and complete the collocations with the appropriate verb


1)      _________ your breath
2)      __________ a move
3)      ___________ a  bond
4)      My heart _____________
5)      __________ a game
6)      __________ a vow
7)      ___________ a night
8)      __________ a step
9)      __________ a word
10) __________ a claim



Any problems? Have a look at the verbs in the box

break (x2)           take (x2)      play       ache          say           stay        stake             make  

Solutions of the ten collocations 
1) Take your breath, for example, the views from the Empire State are breathtaking. 
2) Make a move (not 'do')
3) Break a bond (the opposite is 'make a bond')
4) My heart aches

5) Play a game
6) Break a bond (the opposite is 'stick to a vow')
7) Stay a night
8) Take a step (in Spanish we say 'give')
9) Say a word (not 'tell' or 'speak'). 
10) Stake a claim

Well, collocations are really important to check that you're progressing in English and that you are not thinking in Spanish anymore ! I hope you have learnt some good collocations today and that you have enjoyed this marvelous, catchy song. Anyway,if you want to keep improving your English with songs, click on the following links : The Police's Every Breath You TakeU2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking ForBruno Mar's Don't Give UpThe Cure's Friday I'm In LoveSmash Mouth's I'm A BelieverMichael Bublé's It's A Beautiful Daysongs related to peaceCold Play's ParadiseChristmas carolsChristmas carols IITracy Chapman's Fast CarGotye's Somebody That I Used To Know.
See you in August ! My second blogaversary is approaching !

No comments:

Post a Comment