Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Are you tired of yes and no; good and bad ? Let's use some other expressions

This course is coming to an end and exams at language schools are so near that you can smell them, he he. Anyway, now that I'm preparing my students to pass their oncoming exams, I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some of the material I'll be using with my students next week, so that you can also improve your English. 
Language school teachers struggle hard to make our students use synonyms and different expressions according to their English level. This is why I prepare a list of synonyms (or similar expressions) to 'yes', and 'no' and the adjectives 'good' and 'bad' because I'm sick tired of hearing all these words over and over again. 

Synonym expressions for 'yes'
Resultado de imagen de yes
From : http://should-i-start-packing.tumblr.com/

I think so.
I guess so.
Absolutely ! 
Certainly ! 
Totally !
Perfect. 
Great ! 
Of course ! 
Indeed ! 
Sure !
Awesome !
Terrific !
That's a great idea !
Yap !
Yeah !

Synonym expressions for 'no'
Resultado de imagen de no
From : https://desdetu.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/no/
I don't think so. 
I don't think that's a great idea.
Absolutely not ! 
Of course not !
Nope ! 
Nah !
Not in a million years.
I'd rather do anything but that. 
No way ! 

Synonyms for 'good'
Nice : He is a nice guy.
Friendly (for people) : He is quite friendly.
Likeable : A likeable woman. 
Pleasant (for the weather : The weather was pleasant. 
Fine : He is a fine young man. 
OK : That's OK.
Right : The match was right. 
Fair : That's fair enough.
Useful : This device is quite useful. 

Synonyms for 'very good'
Resultado de imagen de good
From : https://clipartfest.com/categories/view/7e568dce5bd0ff0e2bc1b4173e3737173b3a70b4/good-job-face-clipart.html
Fantastic ! 
Excellent !
Quite excellent !
Superb ! 
Great !
Wonderful !
Marvelous ! 
Fabulous !
Fab !
Well done !
Magnificent !
Exceptional !

Synonyms for 'bad' or 'very bad'
Resultado de imagen de lousy
From : https://pollbuzz.co/profile/Smithankyou
Lousy : The lousy weather / a louse T-shirt.
Poor : He was a poor teacher. 
Awful : I feel awful.
Wrong : A bad guess.
Atrocious : An atrocious war
Terrible : Terrible weather.
Horrible : A horrible night. 
Appalling : He is an appalling cook. 
Incompetent : He is an incompetent mechanic. 

Well, you know, if you want to improve your English, you lexis needs to improve too. I'm sure you'll find these synonyms useful. If you want to learn more about English lexis, click on this link. Feel free to contribute with your own synonyms and expressions in your comments. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I am reading your blog. I found such colossal quantities of stuff in this blog, especially its discussions.A perfect blog dependably thinks of new and energizing post. I feel that this blog is truly having every quality that a perfect blog must have. I just couldn't leave your blog without disclosing to you that I really enjoyed the best quality post you present to your guests. Will be back again much of the time to read new posts.

    ReplyDelete