Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

It smells of holidays !


It's August already !
August is a special month for me, given that my birthday takes place this month ! However, as you know, August is also the typical month for holidays. Not for everyone, though. I typically go on my trips in August, during the high season and this year I will do it as well. In no less than 3 days, I will be taking a flight to Berlin to put all my strain aside. Anyway, I thought this could be the perfect excuse to write a blog entry about holidays ! Let's begin : 

In case none of you had ever noticed, the word 'holiday' is a compound consisting of the words 'holy' (sacred) and 'day'. In the past, this word referred to religious days. Nowadays, on the other hand, the word 'holiday' depicts a period of time when one does not have to work. 

Holiday vs. holidays
Spanish speakers tend to use the word in plural due to interference with their mother tongue (where the word is hardly ever used in singular). However, in British English, the word is often used in singular, frequently accompanied with the article 'a'. We went to Berlin on our holiday.
The word 'holidays' exist in English but it refers a general period as in 'summer holidays' or 'Christmas holidays'.


ON holiday

The typical preposition accompanying 'holiday' is 'on' or 'during'
On my summer holidays, I went to Portugal.
During my summer holidays, I went to Portugal


Vacation / vacations

'Holiday' and 'holidays' are terms used in British English. In American English, they use the terms 'vacation' and 'vacations', the former being more frequent than the latter. 


Other collocations and vocabulary related to holidays

- Bank holiday / public holiday : It's a period when people do not have to work and generally there is no school during these days. 
- To have some days off : To have free days at work. 
- Package holiday / all-in package : A holiday where everything is included. 
- Holiday destination : The place where you go.
- Go on a trip  to/ take a trip to / make a trip to / organise a trip to...
- To be on one's way to...: This is a widely used expression. When I was on my way to Italy, I just remembered I hadn't switched off the TV at home. 
- You go on holiday to put your strain  (or stress) aside / to chill out / to relax / to get away from it all.
- Your holiday destination can be a busy / bustling / crowded / overcrowded / touristic place or a quaint / picturesque place off the beaten track  (calm place far far away).
To finish with this post, I propose a little exercise. I will post some pictures of some examples of holidays and you will have to guess the word(s) each picture is referring to.  The answers are down below. Ready, steady, go !!!


  
                   (1)                                         (2)


                                                   (4)

               (3)                         
 


     (5)                                                  (6)

Answers

(1) Pilgrimage to Santiago. (There are two pilgrims)
(2) Go camping to a campsite. People sleep in tents in sleeping bags
(3) Go sightseeing and take pictures
(4) Summer camp
(5) Go hiking to the mountains
(6) Sunbathe / get a tan / get tanned (Be careful not to get a sunburnt / get sunkissed / get sunburnt. Use sun cream / sunscreen). 

Did you learn some vocabulary about holidays ? You can learn even more in this webpage. Moreover, you can browse through my post about holidays I wrote last year. How do you like enjoying your holiday ? I hope you are still on time to enjoy this lovely summer. As usual, please post comments. I would appreciate what type of holidays you like. 
P.S. The blog's anniversary is approaching. Stay connected ! 

2 comments:

  1. My holidays depend on what I want. If I want to relax, I go to a nice hotel by the sea. But sometimes I fancy discovering new places, so I go sightseeing in a foreign country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like an ideal holiday. Thanks for your lovely comment!!

      Delete