Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Lost in translation. The title of films change depending on the culture.

Long time no see ! 
I haven't written a blog entry for a while because I have been very busy preparing and correcting exams (and still am) . Anyway, I am currently teaching the topic of TV and the cinema to my students of 1º ESO and I thought it would be a fantastic idea to prepare a presentation about some of the quirkiest differences between the titles of some films and TV shows in English and Spanish. The problems of translation can be summarized in three :

1. Direct translation that does not always correspond :
In general, I find it surprising. Sometimes, the translation is horrible (in my opinion) and has nothing to do with the film. An example of this is "Inside Out" the latest Pixar movie, directly translated into Spanish as "Del revés." This title has nothing to do with the movie and I would have chosen something like : "En tu mente" o "Emocionantemente." 

From : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Out_(2015_film)

2. The title is sometimes kept in the original language (when it is not necessary): 
Examples like this are "The Walking Dead" or "American Dad". 

3. Sometimes the tile in English and Spanish are completely dissimilar : Who would know that Sonrisas y Lágrimas is The Sound of Music ? 

Anyway, here you have a compilation of films. Why don't you try to predict the title in English before moving on to the next slide ? Do it and post a comment with your opinion about the article or more examples ! 

2 comments:

  1. Actually "American Dad" is translated as "Padre Made in USA"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that, but I have also seen it advertised as "American Dad" in channel 3. In fact, in Neox, it has been translated as American Dad as you can see in the link : http://neox.atresmedia.com/series/american-dad/ Thanks for your contribution.

      Delete